Convincing cases of demonic possession  

RSS

The Paranormal Scholar
Trusted ScholarAdmin
26/10/2016 6:48 pm  

Many cultures and religions have a concept of possession by malevolent forces.

We have showcased many cases of possession on our Youtube channel, from little-known incidents recorded on personal video cameras, to more well-documented and well-known cases. Often, the evidence is lacking, unreliable or unconvincing.

Thinking of wider examples (not just those we have covered), are there any truly convincing cases of demonic possession?

- going beyond the scope of accepted scientific understanding -

ReplyQuote
nightshade
Trusted Scholar
06/11/2016 7:49 pm  

In all honesty, imo, no. I really don't think possession is a real thing. I have a very open mind, but somehow I'm just not convinced when it comes to possessions. Or mediums/psychics for that matter. 

But that's just my opinion. I mean no disrespect to other people beliefs or religions. 

"It's because you got no guts. Oh, how embarrassing... there they are. They were inside you the whole time. You did have guts. I've never been so wrong in my whole life!"

ReplyQuote
Birdman
Active Scholar
06/11/2016 10:47 pm  

And how about the fact that people starting to speak with a strange voice? I also was a bit incredulous to the possession topic, but when I saw a few people talking like someone otherworldly, which in my mind is physically impossible, that made me reconsider my position on this.

Suddenly I felt like a man; but then I turned around and found out that my wings are broken.

ReplyQuote
nightshade
Trusted Scholar
07/11/2016 1:24 am  

I really don't think speaking in a strange voice qualifies for being possessed, it isn't exactly 'impossible.' You'd be surprised at what mental illness can do to a person.

I feel like when people call in priests etc to do 'exorcisms' just exacerbates the situation. Imagine this:

You are a perfectly normal, healthy person but one day something snaps in you. You didn't realise that you actually weren't coping well with the stresses in your life or something terrible in your past that has happened to you. You start to feel down and depressed and suddenly, you shut yourself away from society. You don't want to speak to family or friends and you end up being left alone with your thoughts. Those thoughts easily turn into voices. The voices scream inside your head and tell you that you are worthless and you should kill yourself. Then, instead of the voices screaming at you in your head, they manifest themselves in your voice box and you say all kinds of terrible things to yourself and others you love and care about. You want to harm them and you want to harm yourself. 

Imagine then, someone coming up to you and telling you that you must be possessed by a demon and they are going to exercise it out of you. You, being a mentally ill Schizophrenic and very paranoid person, believe this straightaway. It drives you more insane and makes you worse. Since you are convinced you are possessed, you start to say things you think a demon would say, you start to sound like what you think a demon would sound like, behave like etc.

It really is heartbreaking when you see videos on the internet of "exorcisms" on people who are "possessed" when in actual fact, that person is not receiving the help they truly need.

But that's just what I believe.

My friend's mother suffers from Schizophrenia and I have witnessed for myself what it can do to a person.  

"It's because you got no guts. Oh, how embarrassing... there they are. They were inside you the whole time. You did have guts. I've never been so wrong in my whole life!"

ReplyQuote
The Paranormal Scholar
Trusted ScholarAdmin
07/11/2016 8:49 am  

You are correct to highlight mental illnesses, such as Schizophrenia, as a possible explanation for 'demonic possession'. It does seem to be the case that most of what we encounter which is described as 'possession' can be explained in such a manner. Even the fictional story of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde can serve a purpose in highlighting the extreme differences between two personalities residing in the same body. 

Asides from that, there are many quite are the result of religious delusions. If society tells you that demonic possession is possible, then it is likely that it will manifest itself more commonly than if not.

However, there are some interesting cases which defy simple explanation. In particular, the case of Anneliese Michel. We are currently working on a mini-documentary video, which we believe should pose some intriguing questions...

ReplyQuote
Birdman
Active Scholar
07/11/2016 11:43 am  
Posted by: The Paranormal Scholar

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Wow you reminded me of a story I wanted to read long time ago. I'll do it today then 😉

Suddenly I felt like a man; but then I turned around and found out that my wings are broken.

ReplyQuote
The Paranormal Scholar
Trusted ScholarAdmin
07/11/2016 11:49 am  
Posted by: Birdman

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Wow you reminded me of a story I wanted to read long time ago. I'll do it today then 😉

It is a good quick read. Not quite demonic possession or multiple personality disorder, but it illustrates the point.

ReplyQuote
nightshade
Trusted Scholar
07/11/2016 2:03 pm  

You are correct to highlight mental illnesses, such as Schizophrenia, as a possible explanation for 'demonic possession'. It does seem to be the case that most of what we encounter which is described as 'possession' can be explained in such a manner. Even the fictional story of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde can serve a purpose in highlighting the extreme differences between two personalities residing in the same body. 

Asides from that, there are many quite are the result of religious delusions. If society tells you that demonic possession is possible, then it is likely that it will manifest itself more commonly than if not.

However, there are some interesting cases which defy simple explanation. In particular, the case of Anneliese Michel. We are currently working on a mini-documentary video, which we believe should pose some intriguing questions...

Anneliese Michel's case is interesting but I am still convinced the poor girl suffered from a mental illness. I'm sure her family were very religious from what I can recall so I think this had a profound effect on her mental well-being when she thought she was possessed. 

I'm interested to see what you find out about this case 🙂

ReplyQuote
scarygothgirl
Active Scholar
06/01/2017 8:36 pm  

The thing that struck me from the Annelise Michel story was that when she had her vision of the Virgin Mary, she was asked to atone for the sins of mankind- which if she had been brought up with any sort of Christian background would seem a very strange thing for Mary to ask, given that that was supposed to be the purpose of Jesus. If God in human flesh already did it, why would a young woman in Germany be required to do it? And why didn't the priests pick up on that?

Personally I have never seen any convincing evidence of demon possession. 

www.Ungendered.com - We care about what's in a person's heart, not their pants!

nightshade liked
ReplyQuote
The Paranormal Scholar
Trusted ScholarAdmin
07/01/2017 6:59 am  

That is a very interesting point. 

Something which I would draw attention to here is the strength of the reaction against controversial Vatican II constitutions at the time. Many Catholics, including the Michel family, saw these as a complete break with tradition, a denial of the true Church - heresy within the papacy itself. Perhaps this could have coloured Anneliese's perception (and by extension her family and priests') of the need for atonement.

ReplyQuote
nightshade
Trusted Scholar
10/01/2017 12:48 pm  
Posted by: scarygothgirl

Personally I have never seen any convincing evidence of demon possession. 

I am on the same page as you.

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register