Christmas Monsters  

RSS

The Paranormal Scholar
Trusted Scholar Admin
12/12/2016 5:02 pm  

Since we are now firmly in the month of December, I thought I would open a discussion of Christmas, in particular regard to Christmas monsters in folklore.

Christmas is generally regarded as a time of giving, family and a certain 'warm fuzzy' feeling which other annual holiday's fail toĀ simulate to the same degree. In my opinion, it is this contrast which makes mythical Christmas monsters all the more intriguing.

One of the most famous is Krampus, the horned, half-goat half-demon creature who roams the streets looking to punish misbehaving children. There are other 'anti-Santa' figures scattered across (mainly European) folklore, including the terrifying, Satan-worshiping Hans Trapp (who is actually based on a historical figure from the late 1400s).

I was wondering if anyone knows of any especially interesting (terrifying?!) Christmastime monsters?

After all, the only way to get into the Christmas spirit in a paranormal fashion is to discuss such things...!

Edited: 12 months  ago

- going beyond the scope of accepted scientific understanding -

ReplyQuote
nightshade
Trusted Scholar
14/12/2016 2:57 pm  

I happened to find an interesting page on the net about some Christmas monsters I've never even heard of before. šŸ™‚

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2013/12/22/the-twelve-monsters-of-christmas/

"It's because you got no guts. Oh, how embarrassing... there they are. They were inside you the whole time. You did have guts. I've never been so wrong in my whole life!"

ReplyQuote
The Paranormal Scholar
Trusted Scholar Admin
18/12/2016 11:58 am  

Thank you for sharing. The Icelandic giantess Gryla is definitely bizarre! The article says that "using her legend to scare children was criminalized in 1746".Ā I wonder if that is true: it is such a peculiarĀ thing to criminalize.

It would be intriguing to find out whether or not these legends bleed into reality. Do people claim to have genuinely sighted these beings? Is there a cryptozoological edge to this? I will do some digging!

- going beyond the scope of accepted scientific understanding -

nightshade liked
ReplyQuote
nightshade
Trusted Scholar
23/12/2016 7:46 pm  

I'd be interested to know what you find out šŸ™‚

"It's because you got no guts. Oh, how embarrassing... there they are. They were inside you the whole time. You did have guts. I've never been so wrong in my whole life!"

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register