Stone Tape Theory  

RSS

The Paranormal Scholar
Trusted ScholarAdmin
04/01/2017 2:36 pm  

Amongst the paranormal community, Stone Tape Theory is something which seems to be quite commonly accepted. For those of you who do not know, it is the notion that ghosts and hauntings are merely 'replays' of events from a time long ago. One cannot interact with a ghost (unlike spirits) as they are not spirits of the dead, but rather non-interactive recordings of the past. In this way, the very bricks and mortar of a building can supposedly store memories.

According to Wikipedia, this theory was popularised in 1972 by a BBC Christmas drama The Stone Tape. Popularised being the key word. Yet, according to Richard Wiseman in his book Paranormality, the whole idea was allegedly invented by this tv programme. In spite of this, certain names and theories which predate the drama do pop up, including H. H. Price in 1940 and archaeologist Thomas Charles in 1961. So, how can it have invented it?

Do any of you know any more about Stone Tape Theory? What is your opinion of it? And, do you agree that it was an invention of a BBC ghost story in the '70s? Or, is there more to it?

- going beyond the scope of accepted scientific understanding -

ReplyQuote
nightshade
Trusted Scholar
05/01/2017 9:59 pm  

I've always heard that some people do believe that ghosts or spirits are just echoes or recordings of the past, like energy trapped within the walls of a place. I just never knew the name of the theory was Stone Tape theory 🙂

I think it's a pretty cool theory to be honest since we do have to accept that the universe itself is a strange and complex thing.

I enjoy watching space documentaries and plenty of times they mention parallel worlds or universes overlapping our own - completely invisible but definitely there.

I think it is very possible that sometimes when people see ghosts, it's actually a glimpse into another plane of existence in another universe, and portals sometimes just happen to open.

It would make sense in that sometimes people say the ghosts act like they don't hear or see anyone and act like no one is there. It could very well be the same for people in other universes who may happen to catch a glimpse of us walking through our homes etc doing our normal every day things.

I have an open mind to everything when it comes to the supernatural or paranormal and believe that even though physics supposedly goes against such things as ghosts etc, there is something about the physics of the universe we may possibly never understand.

Just look at quantum mechanics - even the most gifted and skilled scientists on this planet have extreme trouble being able to understand it. How can particles be in two places at once? How can a particle react a certain way when we observe it, yet when we look away it behaves differently? How can a particle on the other side of the universe be connected to another particle on the other side of the universe, yet somehow if something happens to one of the particles it can INSTANTLY effect the other on the other side of the universe? We thought light was the fastest travelling thing in the universe but it's not.

There are so many surprises just waiting to be discovered in the universe and in physics and maybe, just maybe one day science may actually have proof and an explanation for all things paranormal.

People laugh at people who say they have seen ghosts etc but perhaps one day, no one will laugh any more. 🙂 

"It's because you got no guts. Oh, how embarrassing... there they are. They were inside you the whole time. You did have guts. I've never been so wrong in my whole life!"

Marchosias liked
ReplyQuote
scarygothgirl
Active Scholar
06/01/2017 8:53 pm  

This was the explanation my mother gave when I was young and asked about the existence of ghosts, so maybe I am slightly biased towards it as an explanation. 

I do sometimes wonder if it is similar to times when emotions can be 'contagious', like group hysteria. Except over time rather than with many people in one place. So if a person experiences a particularly strong emotion in a certain place, it might leave an echo for others to experience? 

There is, of course, the explanation of magnetic stimulation of the temporal lobe creating a feeling of a 'presence'. I guess if this was an explanation for ghostly encounters the question would be whether the magnetic stimulation is caused by naturally occurring magnetic fields, or spirits or some other force.

www.Ungendered.com - We care about what's in a person's heart, not their pants!

nightshade liked
ReplyQuote
The Paranormal Scholar
Trusted ScholarAdmin
07/01/2017 6:45 am  
Posted by: nightshade

I enjoy watching space documentaries and plenty of times they mention parallel worlds or universes overlapping our own - completely invisible but definitely there.

I think it is very possible that sometimes when people see ghosts, it's actually a glimpse into another plane of existence in another universe, and portals sometimes just happen to open.

It would make sense in that sometimes people say the ghosts act like they don't hear or see anyone and act like no one is there. It could very well be the same for people in other universes who may happen to catch a glimpse of us walking through our homes etc doing our normal every day things.

This is a very interesting theory, and something which I believe we have mentioned before. The possibility that ghosts are not ghosts, but rather glimpses of some other plain of existence, is a fascinating theory. That being said, if true, it would not explain all alleged sightings of ghosts. For example, ghosts reported to be identifiable figures, including family members or historical figures (e.g. Catherine Howard, fifth wife of Henry VIII, at Hampton Court Palace). Yet, this could be explained by a point which I have made before: maybe, upon our death, we transfer to this other plain of existence...

It is all very bizarre to talk about! But, this level of open-mindedness, I believe, is the only way to attempt to reach answers.

You are right to question the limitations of science. We do not know everything - yet. Which is precisely why the paranormal is both so interesting, and so often frowned upon by mainstream scientists.

nightshade liked
ReplyQuote
The Paranormal Scholar
Trusted ScholarAdmin
07/01/2017 6:54 am  
Posted by: scarygothgirl

I do sometimes wonder if it is similar to times when emotions can be 'contagious', like group hysteria. Except over time rather than with many people in one place. So if a person experiences a particularly strong emotion in a certain place, it might leave an echo for others to experience? 

Such a theory does help to explain the existence of spiritual mediums and 'sensitives'. Could it simply be that some people are more in tune to this emotional residue than most?  A similar theory could be applied to other things, such as haunted objects like dolls and paintings. Emotional residue that continues to broadcast.

The supposed sensitivity of children is also interesting in this light.

As for magnetic simulation, I believe there have been studies which deny this as a placebo effect of sorts. If I recall rightly, in one study people are told to enter a room (in which magnetic forces have been manipulated by the testers) and report if they feel anything strange. Invaribly, people do... even when the magnetic forces are not being disturbed for the control group. Psychological phenomena such as confirmation bias plays such a large part in people's experiences, in my opinion: people who believe in ghosts will 'experience' the paranormal in order to confirm their belief.

That being said, not every alleged case of a haunting or ghost sighting can be so easily dismissed.

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register